This delicious turmeric borscht soup recipe is sooo good! My mom, Umeeda came up with this twist on a traditional borscht that I love, especially in the winter!
The recipe is super easy and cooks up quick - I freeze the extra I make and heat up as needed. Beets are packed with great nutrients and the addition of Truly Turmeric makes this soup a tasty and healthy treat.
Ingredients (serves 5-6)
- 1 tablespoon oil of choice, we used grape seed oil
- 2 onions diced
- 3 beets (red) cut into bite-sized pieces
- 1 tablespoon garlic paste (or 2-3 cloves garlic finely chopped or mashed)
- 1 tablespoon Truly Turmeric with Black Pepper
- 2 carrots cut into bite sized pieces
- Any other vegetables you want! I sometimes add potatoes
- 1 can of chickpeas
- 2 tsp vegetable better than bullion
- 1 cup crushed tomatoes
- 1 bunch of fresh dill cut fine (save some for garnish)
- Beet tops (from the 3 beets)
- 1-2 tsp apple cider vinegar
**Optional add turkey or chicken bones for flavour and some green chilli paste to give a little heat
In a large pot on medium heat add 1 tablespoon oil, onions, beets, garlic, and turmeric paste. Fry lightly for a couple of minutes, don't let anything brown or burn.
Then add carrots and any other veggies you want and fry for an additional minute or two. Add chickpeas, crushed tomatoes, beet root tops, dilll, and bones (if desired). Cook for a couple more minutes and slightly lower heat to avoid burning.
Next add your vegetable stock and 4-5 cups water. Cook until beets are soft and tender, but not mushy. Then add 1-2 tsp of apple cider vinegar for some tang! The vinegar will stop the beets from cooking further, so make sure they are at the desired softness before adding!
Serve with a dollop of sour cream, yoghurt, or vegan yoghurt! I've garnished this dish with some turmeric fried chickpeas for some crunch... but go ahead and get creative!